FROM THE GENERAL OVERSEER,
Pastor (Dr) E. O. Abina
WHY JESUS DIED FOR YOU
Sunday 27th March, 2016.
“For where there is a testament, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. For a testament is in force after men are dead, since it has no power at all while the testator lives. Therefore not even the first covenant was dedicated without blood. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and goats, with water, scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book itself and all the people, saying, “This is the blood of the covenant which God has commanded you.” Then likewise he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle and all the vessels of the ministry. And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission” (Heb 9:16-22). Read Jn.19:30,34; Matt.27:50-53.
Since the fall of Adam and Eve and their subsequent expulsion from the garden of Eden in other words the Paradise “as a result of their sin, the way for man to regain that place was closed. God’s original plan for man was to live forever as He also lives forever. But sin came in through Satan and robbed man from the best place God made for human beings. However, God did not give up on man because of His love for man He created in His own image and likeness. Like a caring and loving Father, God made another plan whereby sinful man might regain what he lost in Eden. In His attribute of magnanimity God carried out His plan before the foundation of the world to send His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to die for our sins, to represent us and bear the judgment which the sinful man deserved so that we might regain what we lost.
The sacrifices that were made in Judaism were not able to meet divine requirements for the sins of man. It was just only done as a prototype of God’s plan of the ages to save man. “But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons” (Gal. 4:4,5). The law requires that a will become effective after the death of the person who made the will. That was why Jesus had to die and shed His blood for the new covenant ratification so that those who believe might have eternal life through His death. Moses gave the law but Jesus brought grace for the sinful man to get saved by grace through faith (Jn 1:15-17, Eph. 2:8,9). Thus His death was;
1. The fulfillment of the old prophesies (Gen.3:15, !s.53)
2. On the cross Jesus carried your sins (1Pt.2:24)
3. John called Jesus the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world (that includes you) (Jn. 1:29)
4. On the cross Jesus became a curse for you so that He might give you His blessing (Gal.3:13,14)
5. Jesus suffered the judgment of your sins on the cross so that you might receive forgiveness of your sins (Eph.1:7)
6. Jesus became sin for us on the cross so that He might give us His own righteousness through faith (2Cor.5:21)
7. He shed down His blood so that our sins may be washed out according to the requirement of the law. (Jn.19:34)
8. He made Himself the propitiation for the sin of the whole world (1Jn. 2:1,2)
9. His death on the cross provided free access for sinful man to come to the very presence of God- the Holy of Holies, the veil of the temple tore from the top to the bottom (Matt. 27: 50,51)
10. And finally Jesus said, it is finished. (Jn. 19:30). The ball is now in your court. God has done His own part to save you that we might receive eternal life.
11. One of the criminals crucified with Jesus on the cross for the offences they committed acknowledged his sins, accepted Jesus innocence of the judgment inflicted on Him and then asked Jesus for forgiveness; Jesus said to him, “…Assuredly, I say to you, today you will be with me in paradise” (Lk. 23:39-43). This statement from Jesus is very significant:
(a) That the matter of man’s salvation is the very day he hears the gospel, that is today is the day of your salvation. All you need to do is to believe what Jesus did for you on the cross and repent from your sins. (Acts 2:37-42; 2 Cor. 6:1,2)
(b) The lost paradise has been regained for us
through the death of Jesus (Lk 23:43; 2 Pt.3:18). You can receive eternal life today if you are still a sinner, it doesn’t cost you money, only believe and repent. If you are a child of God, preach this gospel to others to hear and believe.
Sing this hymn:
What can wash away my sin?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus;
What can make me whole again?
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Oh! precious is the flow
That makes me white as snow;
No other fount I know,
Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
1. Thank God for His love in sending Jesus to die for your sins
2. Thank Jesus for the death of your sins on the cross
3. Ask the Holy Spirit to open the hearts of sinners to accept the offer of salvation through faith in Christ Jesus, and also help you to share this message with your unbelieving friends and those you may meet.