Day 3: SATURDAY
4TH January 2014
FOCUS: OVERCOMING SIN, MAKING YOUR LIFE A VESSEL FOR THE HOLY SPIRIT
TEXTS: Psalms 132:13-14, 68:16; I Cor. 3:16-17; John 14:23
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE PRAYING
Anyone sinning cannot become a vessel for the Holy Spirit. Every true
Christian is a dwelling-place for God. Therefore, Christians, as holy temples,
are to be manifestors of God. God dwells in every regenerated heart because it is cleaned from sin. God’s dwelling in our hearts as saved souls reveals Himself to us in person and to others around us through our conducts. Christians, domains are temples for God and should be a place of holy sacrifice. What is a temple without worship? And what is a worship without sacrifice? God wants us to overcome sin in all its forms and shades.
Your heart must be purged from sin because it is the chief seat or place for God’s residence. God dwells in the heart. He takes up a regenerated heart for His own lodging (Isa. 5:15; Eph. 3:17). Therefore, it must be pure and holy, for a king’s palace must be kept from defilement, especially his seating chamber. God is in love with a pure heart for He sees His own picture drawn there. It has been said that, the pure in heart is a lesser heaven. The dove, delights in the purity of soul. The Holy Spirit who descended in the likeness of a dove delights in the purity of soul. God says to the pure heart, “this is my rest for ever, here will I dwell for I have desired it” (Ps. 132:14). According to the Message translation, “This will always be my home; this is what I want, and I’m here for good”.
If your life is pure, God will make it His home as long as you keep it pure. This is why you must win the battle against sin. Today, many believers are yet to win the battle against sin in their lives. Many make light of sin. Many defend their besetting sins. That is why they cannot become a special residence for God and “manifestors” of God.
You Must Overcome Sin
Sin is missing the mark, crookedness, rebellion, wickedness and unrighteousness. Sin is very deadly, dangerous, contagious and incurable, Sin is too costly. It can cost you both your earthly and eternal destiny. Sin is simply instruction or divine injunction neglected. And whenever we neglect divine injunction, we provoke divine wrath. Sin makes one a candidate of God’s wrath (Job 21:30; Isa. 3:10-11). Sin is willfulness, madness, lawlessness, blindness, diseases and abomination. Sin makes anyone a captive, a great loser, and a candidate of eternal suffering. Sin makes one’s way to be dark, rough and slippery (Prov. 12:26, 13:15, 4:18-19; Ps. 146:9, 147:6). Sin puts out the lamp of your glory (Prov. 13:9; Job 21:17).
Beloved, you must be free from sin. Sin invites trouble that you cannot avoid and afford. Sin provokes God to lift up His right hand against your destiny (Joshua 5:6). Sin gives Satan access to stand at the right hand of your life (Zech. 3:1-4).
You cannot be a habitation for the Holy Spirit, if you are not free from sin. You must be free from sin. Sin corrupts (Gen. 6:12), sin enslaves, (Rom. 5:17), sin condemns (John 3:18), Sin blinds (II Cor. 4:4), Sin deafens (Mk. 8:18), sin contaminates (Rom. 5:12), sin defiles (Gen. 6:5), sin weakens (Rom. 5:6), sin shames (Gen. 3:7), sin binds (John 8:34), sin deadens (Eph. 2:1), sin darkens (Col. 1:3), sin confuses (Rev. 3:17).
Jesus came to deliver us from sin. “You must be free indeed.” What is your sin? Can you too say … “And I kept myself from any iniquity” (Ps. 18:23). Keep yourself free from sin and becomes a living temple for the Holy Spirit.
LET US PRAY
1. I lay down my burden of sin at the foot of the cross of Calvary, let your blood cleanse me and make me whole again.
2. O Lord, in any way I have incurred your wrath as a result of rejecting and neglecting your divine injunction, by your mercies please, turn them away.
3. Holy Spirit, I surrender my life to you, repair and renovate any area of my life and destiny that has been vandalised as a result of sin.
4. Holy Spirit give me the strong and unwavering desire to say no to sin
5. Holy Spirit, circumcise my heart with your fire.
6. Holy Spirit, burn every filthy sacrifice on the altar of my life.
7. Holy Spirit, I yield myself to you, guide and redirect my footsteps in any area I have missed the mark as a result of sin.
8. Holy Spirit, I welcome you into my heart. This is your house, your home!
9. Holy Spirit, strengthen and revitalize me in any area that I have been weakened as a result of sin.
10. Holy Spirit, take over my life and use me as your vessel of honor, glory and power.
11. Holy Spirit, cause me to be filled with all the fullness of God (Eph. 3:19).
12 O Lord, pour out your Spirit upon GOFAMINT until every wilderness becomes a fruitful field and the fruitful field, a forest.