DAY 6: MONDAY, 7TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: LORD, BAPTISE ME WITH THE GRACE AND POWER TO PRAY WITHOUT CEASING
TEXT: 1Thes. 5:16-18, Col. 4:2, Luke 18:1, Dan. 6:10, Eph. 6:18, Rom. 12:12
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYERS
Prayer is a wonderful weapon. Prayer is one of the most important things a Christian can do in this perilous time. Prayer is a weapon we use to fight spiritual battles. As we go through the day, prayer should be our first response to every fearful situation, anxious thought and undesired task that God commands.
Prayer is a time of communing with God and it should be taken very seriously. Prayer makes power available. Prayer protects, promotes, and purifies. Prayer helps us to withstand the fiery darts of evil. Prayer is our fortress in the conflicts of life. It can defeat all the plans of the devil. Prayer is our master weapon. When we pray, the devil fails, falls and flees, but when we become too busy to pray the devil will muster strength to withstand, injure and possibly demobilize us.
Prayer is both a weapon for our defense and offense. Hence, prayer is described as “a sacrifice to God, a shield to the soul, and a scourge to Satan”. Prayer is the strength of our spiritual life. There is nothing on earth that Satan so fear as prayer. He does not know how to cope with prayer. A man of God once remarked, “Satan is vulnerable to prayer. He cannot escape your prayer. Satan has nothing that can withstand your prayers”. In the hours of temptation, when fiery darts of iniquity, infirmity and death are thrown from the devil’s bow at you, prayer shields you. Today, if we can defeat the devil in the place of prayer, we can defeat him in all areas. But if the devil can defeat us in the place of prayer he can defeat us in everything. Therefore, we must not play with prayer. As a matter of fact, we need God to baptize us into the grace and power to pray without ceasing.
Pray without ceasing also means:
- Never stop praying.
- Praying constantly.
- Pray at all times.
- Continually be prayerful.
- Pray unceasingly.
- Be unceasing in prayer.
- Pray continually.
Praying without ceasing does not mean non-stop talking but an attitude of God-consciousness and God-surrender that we carry with us at all times. Unceasing prayer is continual dependence upon God and communion with the Holy Spirit.
Praying without ceasing demands the following:
- Willingness to obey the divine call to pray according to the scripture, 1Thes. 5:17, says “Pray without ceasing”. The command is clear and it is to be persistent in prayer. This is irrespective of whom you are, what you do, and where you live. Similarly, in Eph. 6:18, we read in part, “Pray at all times, on every occasion, in every season in the Spirit, with all manner of prayer and entreaty” (Amp). Here the command is PRAY AT ALL TIMES on every occasion and everywhere. Equally in Col. 4:2, we read, “continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving”. Again, the injunction is clear. You are not only to pray, but to continue praying.
- That you ask God to fill you with the Spirit of grace and of prayer. That was His promise regarding His people. “I will fill the descendants of David and other people of Jerusalem with the SPIRIT OF MERCY AND THE SPIRIT OF PRAYER (Zech. 12:10, GNB). When the Spirit of prayer comes upon you. Prayer will become a delightful encounter with God. The urge to pray, inspiration and zeal to pray will be always available.
- Discipline your body to pray: The Spirit is indeed willing to pray but the body is weak. You need the quickening power of God in your body to be able to pray without ceasing.
- Re-order your priorities to pray without ceasing. The apostles made a quality decision to make prayer first in their lives. “But we will give ourselves continually to PRAYER, and to the ministry of the word” (Acts 6:4). We need the grace and power of God to say like David …”but give myself unto prayer” (Ps. 109:4). So, you too need to re-order your priorities to give yourself to prayer and make prayer first thing in your life. This too requires God’s grace and power.
- Put out of your life
- Everything that hinders you to pray.
- Everything that steals your time of prayer.
- Everything that destroys your desire for prayer.
- Everything that weakens your strength for prayer.
- Everything that makes your body to become too wild and weak to pray.
- Everything that kills inspiration to pray.
- Everything that makes you to delight more in the public than in your closet.
- Everything that diverts your attention away from prayer.
Beloved, the grace and power to pray without ceasing, shall be yours if you can do the above. We are on the battle field. We are in the midst of the enemies. These times are dangerous. We need to pray without ceasing so that we can keep on winning without stopping.
LET US PRAY
- Lord, how is my prayer life? Is my prayer life alright with you? Lord open my eyes to the deficiency of my prayer life in this evil age.
- O Lord, heal and revive my prayer life. Help me to pray hard, hot and long.
- O Lord, open my spiritual understanding to know the role and place of prayer in my Christian journey and give me the grace to pay the price.
- Lord, help me to defeat the devil in the place of prayer by overcoming all his tricks to prevent me from praying.
- Lord, deliver me from the sin of prayerlessness or small praying – not praying as one should.
- Lord, empower me with grace, inspiration and zeal to pray without ceasing.
- Lord, baptize me with the spirit of prayer as you promised in Zech. 12:10.
- Lord, equip me with the supernatural willingness to obey the divine call to pray unceasingly.
- Lord, help me to pray at all times, in every occasion and every where.
- Father, do everything that is necessary in my life to keep me praying at the right time.
- O Lord, help me to re-order my priorities, giving prayer the first place it deserves in my life.
- Holy Spirit, help me to discipline my body, so that I can pray without ceasing.
- Heavenly Father, assist me to put out of my life, anything that hinders me from praying without ceasing.
- Anything that steals my time of prayer.
- Anything that kills the inspiration and zeal to pray.
- Anything that weakens my strength to pray.
- Anything that destroys my desire for prayer.
- Anything that makes it very difficult for me to pray.
- Special ministration for day: Those who have become weak in the place of prayer or those who find it very hard do pray without ceasing.
- Special intercession for the day: Lord, raise more anointed and disciplined intercessors for GOFAMINT worldwide.