DAY 16: THURSDAY, 17TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: OVERCOMING THE ENEMIES; RECOVERING THE LOOT
Text: I Sam. 30: 1 – 20
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYER
The story of the vandalisation of David’s campy by the Amalekites and the eventual victory of David and the consequent recovery of the lost items is an interesting story of the Bible. The story is not only interesting; but insightful and relevant. There are many spiritual lessons to be learnt for our contemporary life today.
- The Amalekites Army: They were the children of Esau, the twin-brother of Jacob. They were the same people, who attacked Israelites suddenly in the wilderness as recorded in Exodus Chapter 17. Moses then went to the top of the mountain, where he lifted up his hands by which Israel prevailed over the enemies. In that scenario, when Moses held down his hands as a result of weakness, the Amalekites prevailed. This shows that the Amalekites were close allies, who operate through believers’ weakness and weariness. They prevailed when Moses hands were weak and held down. They attached David camp when David was absent at the camp. The flesh which we all carry is the similitude of the Amalekites. It is the twin-brother of our spirit-man. It is one that Satan taps and uses to push us into temptation and troubles. Jesus said: the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak (Matt. 26:41).
- Pray for Victory: David prayed and had victory over the Amalekites. David and his people were distress, they prayed with determination and got result. Let us also unburden and bare our hearts to God in prayer today. God listens to and answers the prayers of His children. Burdens shall be removed as we pray.
- David made efforts to hear from God: He made efforts to hear from God. It is not enough to speak to God in prayer, if we learn to pray to God, we must also learn to hear from Him. God is willing and ready to speak to everyone who cares to listen to Him. In fact, God speaks continually in the spirit realm. The Bible says, “I will stand on my watch… to see what he will say to me” (Heb. 2:17). He who has ear, let him hear what the spirit says to the Church” (Rev. 3:13). Messages about different areas and issues of our lives go out from the throne of God in the spirit realm. Ability or inability to hear in the spirit makes the difference. Let us endeavour to develop to the point of hearing in the spirit realm.
- David took steps by pursuing the enemies: At the instance of God, David took actions. There are steps to take in order to possess our blessings and victories. David pursued, over-took and over-ran the Amalekites. There was no way he would overtake and overcome the enemies, if he did not pursue them. Christians must have the courage to engage the enemy in battle. We cannot win, if we sit on defense, but our victory is 100% sure, if we fight. This is because we are not fighting for victory but in victory. “They will fight against you, but they shall not prevail against you” (Jer. 1:19). Jesus secured our victory on the cross of Calvary (John 19:30).
- David employed necessary strategy (vs 11-19): It started with prayer, to hearing from God, then pursuance of the enemies; which culminated in the employment of necessary strategy to achieve the ultimate goal of total recovery. Some Christians today in a similar situation, may not try the option of using any strategy; simply because they have prayed and received the word of God. That is why many of us are not getting necessary results. There is absolute need for each of us to deploy necessary strategies as occasion demands. The Bible says, ‘If anyone lacks wisdom, let him ask…” (James 1:5). Right application of wisdom is what we call strategy. Let us all pray today for the wisdom we need to make necessary progress, success, impact and results in life.
LET US PRAY
- Dear Father, strengthen all the weak areas of my spiritual life and let there be no more room for the Amalekites to attack me in Jesus’ name.
- I receive new grace from God today to pray through and break-through all challenges in Jesus’ name.
- Help me lord to pray right, pray through and break through.
- Like Moses of old, I race my hands up against all invaders and strangers attacking my life, lose your power in Jesus’ name.
- Blesses Holy Spirit, open my ears and enable me to hear what you have to say to me and about the situation of my life; and ministry.
- Circumcise my spiritual ears Oh Lord, that I may be hearing you clearly and regularly as you speak to me.
- Teach and show me the way to follow, guide me into total victory and restoration in Jesus’ name.
- Guide my steps in all my undertakings, Oh Lord.
- Teach me to do your will and let your Spirit lead me to the land of fulfillment Oh Lord.
- Show and shine your light upon my life and let all anguish disappear in Jesus’ name.
- Let weeping comes to an end and let joy replace it in my life, Oh Lord.
- Let the spirit of wisdom, counsel and understanding overwhelm my life, Oh Lord.
- Right all the wrongs and change all negative to positive in my life, Oh Lord.
- Change all fruitlessness to fruitfulness in my life, Oh Lord.
- Change the barrenness and emptiness of my life to blossomness and fullness, oh dear Father.
- Turn my labour to favour and toil to harvest, Oh dear Father.
- Lead me Oh Lord, to recover all lost glory, blessings and entitlements of life.
- I am of the house of Jacob, I possess my possessions in Jesus’ name.
Altar call: Read II Sam 22:7 and invite anyone who has life challenges to come to the altar.