DAY 14: TUESDAY, 15TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: LORD, HELP ME TO OBEY THE PRINCIPLE OF GOOD HEALTH
TEXT: 3 JOHN 2, PROV. 14:30, PROV. 17:22
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYERS
It is a common saying that “Health is wealth”. But somebody has also said that “The greatest wealth is Health”. This is very true. Unfortunately, many people are using their health to get wealth. Today, you need physical health with a body that is free of disease and functioning at its best for you to fulfill God’s agenda for your life. It takes good health for you to be able to pursue and fulfill your assignment in life. It is God’s desire that we be healthy. This was certainly part of His original plan for mankind. Yes, God wants us to be healthy and live long. That is His overall plan for us in the New Testament (3John 2).
God wants His children to take good care of their bodies. He cares about everything in our lives. Taking good care of our health calls for total seriousness, wisdom, humility, discipline radical and conscious steps. According to Rick Warren, “God made your body, Jesus died for your body, and the Holy Spirit lives inside of your body” God tells us in Psalm 119:73, “If you do what I tell you to do with your health, you will enjoy a long life”. Your body is God’s temple and you need to take care of it. Enjoying good health requires that we obey the basic Health principles. It is the violation of these health principles that accounts for about 90% of all diseases and physical sufferings. Therefore, obeying these simple health principles will make us to enjoy good health and give us the opportunity to pursue and achieve our life dreams. Painfully, some people have met the sun set of their destiny because of ill-health. Some are living but cannot talk about their life assignment any longer. To some it is due to the poor management of their health. The question is this, how are you managing your health? Do you obey those simple laws of good health? Disobeying them may be too costly or fatal for you. What are they?
- Eating the right foods: Healthy diet. Eating wholesome food. That is, natural food. It has been discovered that FRUITS CLEANSE, Vegetables BUILD, grains SUSTAIN and herbs help to HEAL. Today, the food we eat either improves our health or causes it to deteriorate. Eat your meal at regular interval (Eccl. 10:7). Avoid too many sweet – sugar and fat, a lot of salt and lots of red meat.
- Do not over eat (Prov. 23:2). Over eating is not good for our health.
- Have adequate sleep or rest. That is, balance work and exercise with sleep and rest. Sleep is a necessity not a luxury. Not getting enough sleep can do all kinds of awful physical and mental damage.
- Don’t harbor envy or hold grudges. These kinds of sinful feelings actually disrupt body process. ‘Envy is rottenness to the bones’ (Prov. 14:30).
- Be free from anxiety or worry. Anxiety simply means, fear or nervous about what might happen. Anxiety in a man’s heart weighs him down, but a good word makes him glad’ (Prov. 12:25, ESV). Worry has been discovered as one of the primary causes of many diseases today. Worry can lead to heart attacks, increased risk of stroke and stomach ulcers, affect your digestive system; it makes you more prone to infections. It can also lower your immune system. It causes heart rate and blood pressure to increase. It also makes it difficult for you to fall asleep at night. Worry may also make you absent minded or neglectful of your health. Excessive worry may lead into depression. Therefore stop worrying.
- Make a cheerful happy disposition. Being happy have major benefits for your health. According to scientific studies, being happy promotes a healthy lifestyle. It may also help combat stress, boost your immune system, protect your heart and reduce pain. So, learn to focus on the things that bring you happiness. “A cheerful heart is a good medicine. But a broken spirit drieth up the bones” (Prov. 17:22, ASV). Similarly, we read in Proverbs 15:13, “A merry heart maketh a cheerful countenance: but by sorrow of the heart the spirit is broken”.
- Keep your body clean. Be clean (Isa. 52:11). Do away with anything that is unclean in any form.
- Make meal time a happy time “Every man should eat and drink and enjoy the good of his labour it is the gift of God” (Eccl. 3:13). It has been discovered that unhappy scene at meal time hinders digestion. So avoid it.
- Exercise regularly. This is any bodily activity that enhances or maintains physical fit and overall health and wellness. Bodily exercise profits a little 1Tim. 4:8. Today, the modern research, has shown the benefits of bodily exercise – reducing cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and stress and preventing diabetes, heart disease and host of other problems. Walking is one of the simplest bodily exercises you can do. Walking is simple, yet powerful. It can help you stay trim, improve cholesterol levels, strengthen bones, keep blood pleasure in check, lift your mood, and lower your risk for a number of diseases. You can start with walking for about 10 to 15 minutes at a time.
- Drink pure water. Drinking 8 glasses of water daily to keep your body running smoothly. When do you drink water? Drink water when you first get up, before a meal, when you are hungry, when you are ill. When you are tired.
Beloved, it is good to be healthy. God is concern about our health. You too must be seriously, sincerely and totally concern with your health. Don’t joke with your health because it is your greatest wealth. It is only the living and the healthy that can serve God and do His will at all times. Take care of your body that is the horse of your life. Don’t allow it to expire prematurely. Obey the principles of health and you shall be healthy.
LET US PRAY
- O Lord, am I among those who are either directly or indirectly destroying their health by not obeying the simple health principles? Have mercy on me and give me a heart of genuine repentance.
- O Lord, deliver me from the ignorance of not knowing the simple laws of health that I am expected to know.
- O Lord, deliver me from disobeying those simple laws of health that I know but don’t obey.
- O Lord, give me inner strength to obey every necessary principle of health for the overall well-being of my body, soul and spirit.
- O Lord, help and empower me to take adequate care of my health. Forgive me any careless handling of my health matters.
- O Lord, assist me to always eat what will improve my health.
- O Lord, help me to keep away from those foods that cause my health to deteriorate.
- Sleep is a necessity, not a luxury, not getting enough sleep can do all kinds of awful physical and mental damage. O Lord, deliver me from anything that will hinder me from having sufficient sleep on daily basis.
- O Lord, free me from anxiety that weighs one down and threatens the overall well-being of the body.
- O Lord, deliver me from worry, cause me to have a cheerful heart, no matter what I am passing through.
- Dear Lord, give me the inner strength to exercise my body daily.
- O Lord, give me a destiny of rest.
- Special ministration for the day.
For all those that are having problems with their health for divine intervention and cure.
- Special Intercession for the day.
For any GOFAMINT member that is seriously sick either at home or in hospital.