Day 10: FRIDAY, 11TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: Walking in obedience in building our families and the Church.
TEXT: 2ND JOHN 1:16; EXODUS 19:5; EPHESIAN 5:25
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYER
And this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands. As you have heard from the beginning, his command is that you walk in love (2 John 1:16 NIV)
In God’s economy, everything is eternally significant; and there is nothing created without the fulfillment of God’s purpose and desire, being the ultimate objective. The family and the Church were created for that reason, to fulfill God’s purpose and consequently glorify His name forever. To start with, obedience is carrying out the Word and will of God. When we walk in obedience to God and His ways in building our families and the Church – we submit to God, do what He says; He will keep us spiritually, physically, mentally and materially whole. (Exod. 19:5). God wants a people who are willing to separate themselves from the world’s ways and commit themselves to obey Him (2 Cor. 6:17).
Christian family as designed by God is an outgrowth of a Christian marriage that is Biblically guided by specific instructions. In the very beginning, God provided foundational guiding principles for the family; to keep it firm, formidable and fulfilling. Therefore, a good Christian family is one that is in full agreement with Biblical principles and one in which each member understands and fulfills his or her God-given role. If our families are to walk in obedience to God; the following must be strictly observed:
- Christian husbands are commanded to sincerely and sacrificially love their wives (Eph. 5:25, 28; Col. 3:18-21; 1 Pet. 3: 7). Walking in obedience to this command entails that his commitment to her should be second only to Christ.
- Christian wives are commanded to submit to their own husbands as the Church submits to Christ in everything (Eph. 5:22-24), they are to submit without nagging, with gentleness and quietness (1 Pet. 3:1-4) and with respect (1 Pet. 3:5-6; cf. Eph. 5:33).
- Christian parents are to walk in obedience to God’s command by providing for their children’s physical needs and spiritual training (2 Cor. 12:14, 1 Tim. 5:8, Deut. 6:6-7; 32:46; Ps 78:4-6); and not provoking their children to wrath (Eph. 6:4; Col 3:21).
- Children in the Christian families are to heed God’s commands, if they must walk in obedience to God by obeying their parents “in the Lord” and “In all things, for this is well pleasing to the Lord” (Eph. 6:1, Col. 3:20, 1 Sam. 15:23.
- In Christian marriage; cohabiting, adultery, divorce, same-sex marriage, etc. are not acceptable in God’s eyes. Sexuality confined to Biblical standards in marriage is a beautiful expression of love and commitment before God; outside of marriage, it is sin (Heb. 13:4).
- The Christian family is supposed to provide the physical, emotional, social, economic, and spiritual needs of her members so that they can become productive and useful for God and His work.
When the husband, wife, and children walk in obedience to God’s principles, then, peace and harmony reign in the home. However, if we try to have a Christian family without Christ as the Head or without adhering to the Biblical principles provided by the Lord, the home will be chaotic and full of problems.
On the other hand, the Church is established for unique purposes that must be unquestionably fulfilled. In Matthew 28:18-20, Jesus gave the Church the Great Commission to proclaim the gospel of salvation through Jesus Christ (Acts 1:8). The Church should promote the gospel and prepare its members to proclaim the gospel (1 Peter 3:15). Other things expected of the true Church of Christ are seen in the example of the early Church, “And they continued steadfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers” (Acts 2:42).
- The Church is responsible for teaching Biblical doctrines to make its members grounded in the faith (Eph. 4:14).
- The Church is to be a place of fellowship, where Christians can be devoted to one another and serve one another (Rom. 12:10, Rom. 15:14,Eph. 4:32, 1 Thess. 5:11), and most importantly, love one another (1 John 3:11).
- The Church is to equip believers in Christ with the tools they need to overcome sin and be free from the pollution of the world.
- The Church is to be a place where believers can observe the Lord’s Supper, remembering Christ’s death and the bloodshed on her behalf (1 Cor. 11:23-26).
- The Church is to be a place that promotes Biblical prayer, teaches prayer, and practices prayer (Phil. 4:6-7).
- Finally, the Church is to engage in the business of ministering to those in need; providing for physical needs (food, clothing, shelter) as occasion demands (James 1:27).
If we want families and the Church to last, fulfill purpose and please the Lord, it becomes mandatory to walk in obedience to God’s Word, regarding His divine purpose for the family and the Church.
LET US PRAY
- Father, make our families to fulfill God’s purpose, live by God’s principles and glorify God’s name in all things, in Jesus’ name.
- Every family in GOFAMINT and the Church at large, receive grace and willingness to be separated from the world’s way and be committed to living God’s way, in Jesus’ name.
- Let every husband in GOFAMINT receive grace to sincerely and sacrificially love his wife as Christ love the Church, in Jesus’ name.
- Let every wife in GOFAMINT receive grace to honestly and respectfully submit to her own husband in everything, as the Church submits to Christ, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, grant abundant grace to all parents in GOFAMINT to adequately care for their children spiritually, physically and financially in a way they will not be guilty before God, in Jesus’ name.
- All our children in GOFAMINT shall be trained by the Lord to be good and obedient children, filled with the love and fear of God, living and growing in the will of God in all things, in Jesus’ name.
- Holy Father, purge our families and the Church from all sexual sins and pollution; ravaging our world, in Jesus’ name.
- Merciful Father, as you bless Abraham and his family, locate every family in GOFAMINT for genuine and undeniable blessings, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, visit every troubled family in GOFAMINT with your peace; bring together every scattered family; and be the needed solution to every problematic family, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, reawake us as a Church to the urgency of soul winning and give us burning passion and unalloyed commitment to win souls, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, help our pastors and ministers in GOFAMINT, to be ruggedly committed to the teaching of the undiluted Word of God, in Jesus’ name.
- Declare forcefully in prayer: “Heresy will not stand, survive, gain ground on GOFAMINT altars”, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, restore us as a Church to true Biblical fellowship, where genuine brotherly love, true forgiveness, and Kingdom holy living reign, in Jesus’ name.
- In GOFAMINT, sin shall not have dominion; sin shall not be tolerated and celebrated; sin shall not be harboured or covered; sin shall not be lightly treated or trivialized; sin shall not be renamed for acceptance; and sin shall always be exposed and dealt with in Jesus’ name.