DAY 8: WEDNESDAY, 9TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: O Lord, grant us grace and discerning spirit to enjoy God’s leading at all times
TEXT: JER. 24:6-7; EXO. 33:13; PS 37:23
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYER
Today’s focus is a passionate plea to enjoy God’s leading just like Moses prayed: “If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people” (Ex. 33:13); David also pleaded: “Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day long” (Psalm 25:4-5); and Solomon counselled, “Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths” (Prov. 3:5-6).
The Bible is full of promises, assuring us that if we will trust in the Lord, He will direct our ways; but we must also understand that His leading is His absolute prerogative as Prov. 16:9 puts it, “We can make our plans, but the Lord determines our steps”. That is, the way of His leading varies, therefore we need grace and discerning spirit to know and enjoy it. God works in diverse ways: “Oh, what a wonderful God we have! How great are his riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his methods!” (Rom. 11:33)
Let’s settle this in our hearts, discovering the leading of God is highly essential in life; though, many Christians fail to understand what this entails. Despite what they may think, God does not desire that His leading should be a mystery to us, but rather want us to understand His will (Col. 1:9–10).To know the way of His leading, we must deny ourselves and focus our attention on our Lord; not on our plans or ideas: but wait on what God is showing to us.
God is more interested in leading us than we are. However, the key to success in this area of our lives is simple obedience, that is, our willingness to surrender to God over our personal desires. This obedience will require us to adjust our lives and plans; it is indeed costly. There is no other option as one of our hymns instructs: “Just obey, just obey, it’s the way, God’s way”. Therefore when God leads, we are to obey. God blesses those who are obedient – Acts 9:1-25; Ps. 119:33-35; Luke 6:46-49; John 7:16-17.
It should be noted that when we totally surrender and trust in God’s power and authority, it gives Him pleasure. He is ready to reshape our destiny, if we will allow it; and to teach us His ways, if we are ready to walk in them. Psalm 37:23 says, “The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD”. These steps of His leading are given in verses 3-7 in this order:
- Trust in the Lord (v3) – being confident of His leading;
- Delight thyself in the Lord (v4) – allowing Him to fill your very being with his presence and joy
- Commit thy way unto the Lord (v5) – having no preconceived conclusion of your own but completely surrendering it all to Him
- Rest in the Lord (v7) – knowing that He loves you and will never mislead or disappoint you.
Now, to enjoy God’s leading through Christ Jesus, we must understand first and foremost that we have received salvation through the abundant grace of God and not by our personal efforts (Eph. 2:8-9). The privilege to be led as His child (Rom. 8:14) is that grace that has appeared to all men including you (Titus 2:11).
- The grace of His leading brings restoration to the lives of God’s people and yours cannot be an exception ( 24:6-7
- The grace of His leading brings God to covenant with His people (I 59:21, 60:1-2).
- The grace of His leading rests on His discerning Spirit on believers just as Jesus experienced ( 11:1-4)
- The grace of His leading is always sufficient for as many that are ready to tap into it (2 Cor. 12:8-10).
May you always receive grace and discerning spirit to enjoy God’s leading at all times in Jesus’ name.
LET US PRAY
- I refuse to lean on my own understanding or prove to be wise in my own eyes, O Lord, fill me with Jesus, the true wisdom of God in Jesus’ name.
- O Lord, show me the “secrets” that will transform my life and lift me beyond the challenges of my destiny in Jesus’ name.
- Father, by your leading and revelation, enable me to do what others count impossible in Jesus’ name.
- O Lord, give me the secret of wealth and enhance my breakthrough in a way beyond human imagination in Jesus’ name.
- By divine revelation, Lord eliminate every unfriendly friend, spoiler of destiny, and waster of resources, talents and efforts from my life, home and career in Jesus’ name.
- Father, by the grace of Your discerning spirit, deliver me and my family from shame and reproach; fruitlessness and futility; depression and premature death in Jesus’ name.
- I will never go wrong in life, I refuse to labour in a wrong place or to waste my labour, as the Lord lives, where others are sweating; and God shall make me to smile in Jesus’ name.
- O Lord, fill me with uncommon wisdom and empower me with uncommon grace of divine leading and discerning spirit, that will make me a rare blessing to my generation in Jesus’ name.
- I receive sufficient revelation that will swallow all fears of life in Jesus’ name.
- Lord, stabilize my life, business/career, marriage and ministry by your unceasing divine leading in Jesus’ name.
- As the Lord lives, I shall reach my goals in life; I shall fulfill God’s mandate over my destiny in Jesus’ name.