Day 11: SATURDAY, 12TH JANUARY 2019
FOCUS: O Lord, deliver me and my family from the spirit and strongholds of disobedience.
TEXT: Ps. 78:10, Isa. 3:8, 1 Sam. 13:14, Josh. 5:4, Jonah 1:1-5, Eph. 2:2, 5:6, Rom. 7:18-25
INSIGHT FOR EFFECTIVE AND FERVENT PRAYER
The KJV dictionary defines disobedience as “neglect or refusal to obey; violation of a command or prohibition; the omission of that which is commanded to be done, or the doing of that which is forbidden; breach of duty prescribed by authority; or non-compliance”. Sometimes, disobedience may mean going in the right direction at a wrong timing. God is not only interested in what we should do, but how and when as well. Disobedience also covers when the Holy Spirit guides us into specific truth and we neglect His divine leadership and insist on going our own way. Adam started well but his success was short-lived by his disobedience to the word of God. Again, disobedience can manifest in many ways as earlier said; like disobedience to the Word of God; to a clear revelation of the Holy Spirit; to the revealed will of God for one’s life; to definite instruction by one’s spiritual leader; or to your parent’s instructions (that do not contradict or violate the Word of God).
Disobedience is always costly when we don’t do the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way. When we refuse to obey God and determine to go our own way, then we face the consequences in progression, beginning with the experience of confusion like the world, during the building of the “Tower of Babel”. Then, internal conflict follows where the Holy Spirit gives a sense of uneasiness, inadequacy, and doubt over our course of action. That leads to experiences of loss at some points/areas in our lives, whether emotionally or physically, even spiritually as well as financially. Doing things in our own ways and neglecting God’s command, time and way make us miss His best and suffer deep regret, and sometimes, suffer physical and emotional pains as a result of our disobedience. Then, disaster may come to us financially, emotionally, or in countless other ways as a consequence of disobedience which is always disastrous! Know for sure that if we will not listen and obey God, He will discipline us (Jonah 1:4). If we disobey the Lord, He may permit our lives to be disrupted so that we will turn back to Him.
Note the following as regard our disobedience to God:
- Our disobedience separates us from God (Jonah 1:3). Disobedience results in broken fellowship with the Lord. Disobedience to God in family relationship (Eph. 5:226:4), in forgiving one another (Col. 6:4), in keeping friendship with the world (James 4:4), etc. can keep God far away from us. However, obedience is the secret to intimate fellowship with our Lord!
- Our disobedience can also endanger other people’s lives like Jonah’s disobedience that put the lives of all crew of the ship into danger (Jonah 1:5). Can you be sincere with yourself by asking: “How many other lives are put into danger because of my disobedience?
- The disobedient Christian is hardened and spiritually dead to the claims and commands of the Lord (Jonah 1:5).
- The spirit of disobedience is a stubborn spirit that binds its victims to “the course of this world” being controlled by Satan, the power ruling the air (Eph. 2:2 NLT) while the stronghold of disobedience is “the old sinful nature” which is classified as “rotten” and “enslaving”, making its victims miserable in life (Rom. 7:18-14 NLT).
However, if we can sincerely cry to God like Paul (Rom. 7:24-25), we will be delivered from the spirit and stronghold of disobedience. We can get out of the yoke of disobedience by identifying areas of our disobedience, confess the disobedience as sin. Ask God for forgiveness and claim His promise of complete pardon. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (I John 1:9).
If your act of disobedience involves others who are in authority over you, you must settle with them in order to live at peace with ourselves and others. Disobedience to God and those in authority over you can block the joy, blessings and inner peace which God desires for you. Therefore, compel your flesh and its desires to obey God. As Christians, we have mighty weapons of warfare that is potent to break down walls of disobedience. Through faith in God’s Word and the power of the Holy Spirit, we can ask forgiveness of others and make amends where necessary.
LET US PRAY
- Father, be merciful unto me and my family, and forgive all our disobedience to your Word, your revelations and your clear instructions for our families, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, deliver me and my family from every form of conscious and unconscious disobedience in Jesus’ name.
- Powers of disobedience that is keeping God far away from me and my family, lose your hold on us now and forever, in Jesus’ name.
- In any way my heart is made hardened and dead spiritually by the spirit and stronghold of disobedience, O Lord, deliver me now, in Jesus’ name.
- Spirit and stronghold of disobedience binding me to “the course of this world” and making me ‘rotting and enslaved to miserable life’, break your hold over me in Jesus’ name.
- Father, deliver me from every system, programme, event and policy of this generation that are designed to cause strong believers to disobey and stumble from the way of the Lord, in Jesus’ name.
- Powers of lust and disobedience that want to make me and my family enemies of God and candidates of hell, lose your grip over us and be cut off completely from our hearts in Jesus’ name.
- I refuse to come under the rule and dominion of the spirit and stronghold of disobedience, in Jesus’ name.
- Every controlling power of the flesh, enforcing me to compulsory disobedience, break now in Jesus’ name.
- Every hold of the world over my affections; causing me to lose my first love for the things of the Lord and end up in disobedience, be broken in Jesus’ name.
- Father, give me grace of godly discipline and self-control over all legitimate privileges and facilities given me, lest they become hell-trap for me and my family, in Jesus’ name.
- Every spirit commissioned to defile my soul and body through disobedience and thereby destroy my destiny; I break your power over me in Jesus’ name.
- Henceforth, my family and I, receive grace to always do the right thing, at the right time, and in the right way that is pleasing to God, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, restore our intimate fellowship with God, which our disobedience has broken, in Jesus’ name.
- O Lord, restore and repair every life that has suffered any loss or damage by reason of my disobedience and that of my family, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, restore in full, all blessings, joy, inner peace, personal and family breakthrough, spiritual gifts, etc. that disobedience has denied us from enjoying, in Jesus’ name.
- Henceforth, we receive grace to take God by His Word and to obey Him completely and serve Him conscientiously with our families in Jesus’ name